Thursday, September 2, 2010

Just going "Jogging"

Since I don't have much to say about today's run (as I did not run today--the pouring rain really discouraged me, and it was my first official day back at school, so I was exhausted as well).  I know, excuses are for wimps.  Today I will take the wimp card shamelessly, and see tomorrow as a new running day.
I have a race on Monday (yay!) morning, and as I will be using the last real day of summer getting up early for that race. I can balance out the wimp card at that point.  The race is the Oakville Half-Marathon.  It is a lovely race.  I ran it last year and really enjoyed it.  Not too big, great scenery, and good cheering sections.  My brother is coming up to run it as well, so it will be nice to have someone to run with, or someone to cheer me on at the finish if (and when) he finishes ahead of me :)


So...I thought I would take a moment to reflect on a conversation said brother and I had the other night.  At the end of the conversation I did say, "I need to write about that in my blog!" We were talking about the culture of running and runners, and just how serious we take ourselves sometimes.  I do feel like I dedicate a great deal of time and effort to running, and I am proud of that.  I work very hard at what I do.  Most people think I am crazy, and perhaps I am.  I do, however, try not to hold people hostage by talking about my dedication to running at length, because it may make me sound more crazy, and if they really want to know all of the details, they can read it here!!
There is a small exception to this sharing of details thing.  I have been asked this question many, many times over the years, "so, are you still into jogging?" or, "so you like going out for jogs?"  hmph.  Ok, I know that jog is a word that describes running, (sort of) i.e. "to run at a leisurely, slow pace" but I would hardly describe what I do as 'leisurely', or 'slow'.  Some days, yes, but never on purpose!  
When I worked at the Running Room many moons ago, where runners of every ability met for runs, never, once, did anyone that entered that store refer to what they were doing as 'jogging'.  It is just a word, I know.  But I am just saying, that I don't head out to the news stand to pick up a copy of "Jogger's World" or "Jogging Times".  
When people ask me about my jogging, I feel the need to step it up a notch and tell them a little about my "running".  


I don't think there are many people in this world that are joggers.  I have yet to see them, if they do exist. Whenever I see someone on the street, in a park, or at the track with running shoes on their feet, they are "runners".  They are out there dedicating themselves to something physical and mentally rewarding.  They aren't out for a 'little jaunt.'  They are working hard.  I commend anyone that laces up their running shoes and hits that pavement (or treadmill?).  


Happy Running.  Or leisurely jogging.  Whatever it is you want to call it, keep it up!


Elliott and Milo--"cool dudes"
p.s.  I am leaving you with a recent kiddie photo--I haven't added a photo in a bit, and photos just make the blog look so much prettier!

No comments:

Post a Comment