Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Is it too early in the week to freak out about the marathon?

This morning I realized that the week before the marathon should be one of little stress.  Unfortunately, I am feeling the opposite this week.  My oldest has started junior kindergarten officially, and today was his first bus ride.  Wow.  I know I have had my eyes open to him growing up, but I feel like a bundle of emotions when it comes to him taking this big leap.  WHEN did this happen?  HOW did my baby become a kid?  I can't look at a school bus without feeling tears well up in my eyes.  And trust me, as a teacher, I see a lot of busses these days!
My baby, in the brown hat.  FIRST bus ride!!

So.  Marathon.  Emotional Roller-coaster.  Laundry to do.  Hydration to think about.  Sleep patterns to maintain.  Lesson plans.  Fire drills.  Lunches to pack.  Noses to wipe.  The list could continue...
I have decided to focus on one or two things each day until the race.  Tonight, I would like to sit down and make a "game plan" for my favourite spectators on race day.  I know I will want to see my boys during the race (hopefully around the 37km mark, when I always seem to need a pick-me-up) so we must get organized!  My husband knows Toronto waaaay better than me, so I am hoping he can navigate the best route possible to spectate (is that a word?). 

I went out last night and bought some last-minute electrolytes (GU chomps, etc) for race day, and I think I have my race day hydration plan under control.  I am still deciding whether to wear my new running shoes for the race (they served me very well for my long run on Sunday).  Is a week worth of "taper-running" enough to 'break' them in?  We are talking about 26 miles here. 

My goal of being in bed by 10pm has been successful for the one night I have tried it, so here's hoping I can continue that trend through the week (heck, it would be nice to continue that forever...but I need to be realistic). 

I am hoping to head out for a tempo run tonight to remind my legs that running fast(ish) is ok for race day.  The weather is supposed to be nice on this final day of summer!  Enjoy it!!

1 comment: