Sunday, September 26, 2010

The baby made me PB! yay! (It's long, but there are pictures)


After all of the pain and the Glory, me and my medal!

I kind of forgot about the pain.  Having had two children, I can say that the marathon is a wee bit like childbirth, in that during the hard work and pain of it all, you wonder things like, "how did I get myself into this?" or "When will it ever end?!" or "Why does my husband look so chipper, when I hurt sooo much?!"  I have thought these things during both child birth and the marathon.  Then it happens.  The baby is born, and all of that pain is forgotten.  Or...the finish line comes, the glory of that medal is around your neck, and all of that pain is forgotten.  I know there was pain out there today, but I can't describe it now.

So.  A lot happens in 26.2 miles.  I will try not to bore everyone with too much babbling on, but I can say that I am still in excited mode, so I may go on and on a tiny bit :)

The race started with a small Garmin-related catastrophe.  I had it all set up when the starting gun went off, but it took me about 4 minutes to reach the start mat, so my watch went into power-save mode by that point, and I hadn't noticed.  It took me almost an entire minute to fix things, (I was completely panic-stricken!) but I just mentally made note of that and kept running (of course).  The first mile or so was very crowded, and when I glanced down at my watch, it told me I was at a 4:40 pace.  "Huh?!"  I then realized that my beloved Garmin was now calculating my pace/KM?  How on earth did I do that?  Did I somehow press a wrong button in my panic?  I have no idea what my pace should be based on km.  I made a mental note to figure that out for future races, but considered myself screwed in the meantime.
Then, as if by magic, it went back to normal.  I can only assume someone else's Garmin in the crowd interfered with mine, as it did happen a couple of other times when I was in a crowd throughout the race.

By mile 2, things were looking good.  I had settled into a nice pace, the weather was just beautiful, and I was looking forward to seeing my boys at the 10k mark (I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt that I knew I would have to pass off).  They were stationed with bright posters and smiling faces.  It was so nice to see!  My husband was snapping photos just as I had put a GU chomp in my mouth, so some of the photos are rather unfortunate, but it's all part of the race experience, I suppose :)
I then heading out sans long-sleeved shirt toward the turn-around point.  I knew it would be all the way until the 30km mark that I would wait to see my boys, but that was ok.  BUT...to my complete surprise, as I approached the 14 (or 15?)km mark, I spotted a different familiar face!  It was my brother and his little one, Lyla!!  Of course I got a bit teary, knowing they had driven about 3 and a half hours just to get there!!  He ran along beside me with Lyla in the BOB for about half a kilometer, while I blabbed on about the race so far.  I still can't believe he went to all of that effort to come and cheer.  It really boosted me through the next 16kms until I saw everyone again.
Oh, so fresh looking at the 11k mark!

When it came to the 'dividing point', when the half-marathon/marathon split, I felt like it was a, "ok, this is it!" moment.  As we made the turn, I could feel it in the air around me.  Many of us were thinking the same thing.  "What have I done?!"  Then I looked up to see the 18km marker.  Wow.  That went by quickly.  Here's hoping the next 18km goes by just as fast!

It didn't.

But that is ok.  It was actually not bad at all.  Lots to look at, and I was feeling so great.  Sure, my legs have felt better, but what does one expect, running that far?!

As I passed by port-o-lets on occasion, (NOT at every water station, like they promised on their website, I might add) I was so impressed with myself.  I didn't have to stop at any of them!!  Perhaps it was my motivation to stay out of them, (yes, like the rest of the world, I find them quite disgusting) or maybe I was getting just that dehydrated?  Either way, it has been impossible for me to do a run of any real length lately without visiting a Tim Horton's, a corn field, or a secluded ditch, so I thought I would make note of that as one of the highlights of this particular race :)

Before I knew it, I approached the anticipated 30km mark.  My brother had met up with my husband and the boys, but they had more special spectators with them!!  Seriously, it was a party at the side of the road that included my favourite people!  But I couldn't stay :(  I had this darn race to run!!  My dear friend Lori, her cute son Keith and her husband Austin were there to cheer!  What a great surprise.  Thanks guys.  You really make me want to do this all again, just to feel so special.

Kind of scary look on my face, waving to my 'fans'
I thought all of that excitement was going to push me through the next 5km, no problems.  Unfortunately, I really started to feel it on the next little out-and-back the course had to offer.  I don't know if it was the fact that I could see so many people coming back from the 5km that I still had to run, but mentally it was tough.  I just had to break it down mile by mile, and focus on making it back to the 36km mark when I would see my family again.  It worked.  I slowed down a bit in this last stretch, but I still felt good, and I knew I had lots left to make it to the finish.

When I saw everyone again, I assured them that I was feeling great, and they were so positive and happy.  This meant so much to me.
Check out my brother on the right (jeans holding Lyla)!
The people that cheer at the side of the road in this last part of the race are amazing.  They know just what to say.  It is like they have all been through it and they know how it feels to be 5km from 'home free'.  Those 5km went by a lot slower for me than the first 5km, but that is expected.  With every km that passed, I was more and more excited.  I am going to do this thing.  Well under my B goal.  Woot Woot!!

Running through St. Lawrence Market was quite special.  All of the balloon banners, the people, the music!  What a great push to the end.

I could not believe how many people were lining Bay street as I rounded the corner.  In hindsight, I know I really wasn't running that fast, and that it was really just a lot of 'arm-pumping' on my part to feel like I was pushing it, but did it ever feel great.  Lots of "You go girl" shouts from the crowds.  I am quite sure that there will be lots of people with cracking voices tomorrow from all of the yelling they did today :)

The finish line came, and I almost cried when I saw the time displayed.  I did it!  The baby did it!!  I don't have to do it again for a long time!! yay!

Lori checking out my 'wares' in the finish area

The numbers...

time: 3:53:44 (gun time 3:57:23)
place: 997 (out of 2713)
category place: 48/175
gender place: 228/1031

All in all, super YAY!!  It was a fantastic day, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat, even with the pregnant belly.  Not ideal, sure, but it makes for a great story to share with the little one when they arrive!  If this baby doesn't become a runner, you can't say I didn't try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment