Monday, September 13, 2010

Ah, to be Young Again...

Today was the season's first practice for our school Cross-Country team.  With a turnout of 16 students, I was excited.  The students ran a 1km loop four times (some of them were lucky enough to run an extra couple of kms).  I ran the first loop, then watched with the other two coaches.  Some of the students were struggling a little, but many of them had not run over the summer break, so I can understand the fatigue.  I love their enthusiasm for the challenge of it all.

I love that they came out to run.  They chose to be part of this team, some of them because they were encouraged by their teachers, and others, just because they enjoy running in some way.  I truly feel (obviously) that this will build the "lifelong fitness" foundation for them, and that they enjoy this experience.  It is amazing to watch them grow as runners/athletes.  It is amazing to see them finish a race.  The pride is overwhelming sometimes.  Cheering each other on, watching for our team's singlets rounding the bends of the course.  It brings back all of the fond memories I have of running Cross-Country in high school.  The smell of autumn in the air, the feeling of pushing your body to the limits in a race.  It feels like yesterday, but, sadly it was more than 15 years ago.  (yikes, where does the time go?!)

On this "running in high school" note...

This year is the 30th anniversary of the Terry Fox Run.  I am helping to organize my school's efforts for an organized run this year, so that will be exciting.  I don't think I can think about Terry Fox for any length of time without getting tears in my eyes (or full-out crying, especially being pregnant!).  What an extraordinary athlete.
What an inspiration
When I was in University, I worked as a tour guide (best job ever) at a tiny attraction in my small town.  One day an RV pulled in, and an older couple got out, and I took them on a tour.  They were both wearing shirts promoting the Terry Fox run.  When I noticed their shirts, I mentioned having run the Terry Fox run with school for years, and how great it all was.  The woman said, "Well, we're Terry's mom and dad."  I think it is one of my favourite brushes with celebrity.  To raise a young man as dedicated and selfless as Terry Fox, you have to be great people.  I will never forget meeting them.

Imagine running a marathon every single day?  Not to mention a marathon with a prosthetic leg?  It is truly amazing how inspiring that is.  It is small potatoes to run a 5k route to raise money for his cause, don't you think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment