Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Run Down Memory Lane

Lining up at the starting line more than 10 years ago

When I ran my very first marathon (in May of 2000) my goal was to finish the race.  My brother and I ran the race together.  Later in the race, when I was really feeling the pain, I told him to go ahead and I would see him at the finish line.  He insisted that we run together, and he stuck with me until we completed the race in 4:18.  I know Scott could have left me in the dust much sooner, but he didn't.  Our parents were so proud (and relieved, frankly) when we crossed the line.  It was mother's day, and our mom selflessly let us take big naps at the hotel while she and my dad saw the local sights after the race.  It was such a proud day.   I even remember calling the *guy* I had just started dating, to tell him about my big accomplishment.  Perhaps that is why he ended up marrying me?!

8 years ago, before heading to the start
That marathon was one of my first road races.  I guess Scott and I decided to go big for our first race!  After that race we ran a few other road races, but geared up for another marathon.  Our second marathon was 2 years later (Ottawa again).  We trained separately, and planned to run on our own.  We didn't really see each other after the starting line, and I knew he was well on his way to a great race.  This time I had a time goal of under 4 hours.  I made my goal (just--3:58:50) and Scott came in well under 3:30.  Of course our parents were there to cheer us on, and my dad was even sweet enough to bring warm clothing to the finish area so we wouldn't get a chill after the race.  Although I loved the feeling of finishing that race, I decided when it was all over that I would like to tone it back to half marathons (or shorter) for a while.  I thought I may do more marathons, but I was in no rush to get back out and train for another one anytime soon.
Well.  Eight years, a teaching degree, a husband, two children and one-on-the way later, the time has come, it seems!

A lot can happen in 10 years.  Some things don't change, though.  I am still wearing the Asics Nimbus, I still hate gels, and I still enjoy running with my brother Scott.  Although Scott can't make it to the race on Sunday, I have enjoyed running with him over the last few months, and I can't wait to run more races together after this baby comes along :)

On a side note...my tempo run was great the other night, and I am looking forward to an easy run tomorrow.  Then it will be off to the races, literally!

Stay tuned for race goals...

No comments:

Post a Comment