Sunday, September 12, 2010

Everything Old is New Again

an oldie but a goodie!
As I posted earlier, my beloved ipod is but a sad memory to me...ruined by the inability to hold excess moisture.  Boo!  On daily runs, I never take my ipod along, and in races I never have a need for it.  But on those long runs...boy do I need music to keep me going!  Solo long runs, that is.  Yesterday as I prepared for my long run, (which would take place when my husband returned from work around 4pm) I realized I didn't have any music to take along with me.  I attempted to load music on to my blackberry, (I know it can't be hard, but I couldn't seem to get it to work) I remembered my old (ancient) ipod shuffle that is taking space in a drawer somewhere.  I dug it out, and plugged it into the computer, hoping for some sort of miracle.  I haven't attempted to use it in years.  I had about 20 minutes to load up some music, and pray for a charge.

Before heading out, I turned on the Garmin and was all set.  The weather was great for a long run.  The sun was out, and it was breezy.  Ok, a little windy in places, but not hard to deal with in general.  I have to admit, I wasn't really in the mood to mentally handle the distance all on my own.  Perhaps having a busy day with the boys made me a little sluggish?  It didn't take long before I felt the rhythm of the run and felt more positive.
My goal for the run was 9/9:30 miles.  I just LOVE the Garmin for this!!  I can't believe how much I love it.  Would it be weird to name our next born "Garmin"? I asked my husband, after returning home.  Kidding, sort of.   I decided I will always run tracking miles instead of kilometers.  There are sooo many less miles, it seems.  I know it's all mental, but 26 is waaaay less than 42, right?!

Fall is a great time for runs in the country...conveniently placed corn fields are perfect for pit-stops.  Hard to admit, yes, but when you have to go, you have to go, right?!

My route was a double-loop with an extra 4 miles added to the end.  I failed to realize, in my planning that I left the really hilly few miles for the end.  My pace was right on target for the entire run, except those 2 miles that were really "hill-intensive".  Woah, I felt like I was running on the spot.  I managed to salvage 10/mile for those two miles, and I am just fine with that!

By the time I returned to my neighbourhood, the sky was starting to darken.  People were out for after-dinner walks with their dogs.  I was starting to feel chilly from the wind (and pure lack of energy, perhaps?) so I was glad to be home.  I did it.  Another one to cross off the calendar.  I ran (ok, hobbled) upstairs to take part in some bath time fun with the boys.  When my oldest got out of the tub, I scooped out the toys, and poured some icy-cold water in the tub for myself.  Elliott was sure to give me some toys  (just in case you want to play!?) while I soaked to recover.

Today is a full-on rest day.  I am running with my school cross-country team tomorrow after school, so I want to demonstrate good form for the team :)

Happy Sunday.  I have no idea what's for dinner at my house...




No comments:

Post a Comment