Monday, August 9, 2010

I Feel Lucky (plus a recipe)!

Somedays it is a stronger feeling than others.  Today is just one of those strong, lucky feeling days.  It is not even 11am, and I have already been out to do errands with the boys, and gone for a run (complete with nature-pee pit-stop for Elliott).

I just love this time I have in the summer to enjoy these days.  Not to rub it in to all of those non-teachers out there, but days and weeks are much easier to plan when there isn't a job to show up to.  I know my time  of leisure is limited, as September is right around the corner, but I really do intend on soaking up every last minute of this month with my family in this nice weather, going to the beach, taking bike rides, going for runs, running in local races, letting watermelon juice drip down our chins and breathing in that bbq smell that is in the air every single night at dinner time.

On another note, I feel lucky that I discovered (ok, tweaked) a recipe for blueberry muffins that Milo can enjoy.  Milo cannot eat dairy, eggs, or soy, so many baked goods are out for him.  I altered a regular recipe last night and this morning, I felt so good knowing that I could give him that muffin.  He really enjoyed it (the blueberries all over his face were a dead give-away) and I now know that I have a great recipe that he can enjoy!  See, lucky all around?!

In case you are curious, here is the recipe:

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oats
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. egg-replacer (combined with 2 tsp. water)
3/4 cup oat milk (mmmm)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 400. Grease muffin tins or place muffin papers in tins (12).  In med. bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt.  Make a well in the center.  Set aside.  In another bowl, combine egg replacer, oat milk, applesauce, and lemon juice.  Add this mixture to flour mixture.  Mix until just moistened.  Batter should be lumpy.  Add blueberries.  Pour batter into muffin tins.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Let them cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, or until your husband can't wait any longer to try one!

No comments:

Post a Comment