Sunday, June 26, 2011

weekend recap

What a great weekend!  I love it when my husband doesn't have to work on the weekend (it only happens one out of every three).  We enjoyed some family time, which was nice.

Friday nights, our oldest plays baseball.  The uniforms came in last week, and their shirts were HUGE to say the very least.  I guess there was some sort of mix-up, which ended in a team of four-year-olds wearing shirts that look like moo-moos.  Priceless, really.  Because I can't leave well enough alone, I spent the better part of Friday altering Elliott's shirt into a size that is fit for a pint-sized player.  He didn't care either way.  I did manage to fit in a 7km run on Friday afternoon, but it was uneventful, as runs go.

Saturday morning was race day!  Not for me, for my husband.  He ran the Meredith Hagen Inspiration Run in Campbellville.  It was the first annual, and the story behind the race is touching.  Meredith Hagen was a triathlete that lived in the area, and very sadly lost her life in a cycling accident just over a year ago.  Read more HERE .

My husband ran the 5km trail route.  Here he is just past the start line...

my "sports photographer" skills need work!
While he was out running his legs off in the trails, the boys (all three of them) and I went exploring Mountsberg Conservation Area, where the race was held.  We looked at owls, falcons, and eagles and the boys complained that they were hungry for hot dogs (it was 10am?!).  I made a big mistake (I should know better at this point in my life) by forgetting to pack snacks for the hungry toddlers!

Before long, we headed back to the start/finish area.  Imagine my pride, when the finish line announcer said, "here comes a speedy male finisher!"  She was talking about my husband.  Aw.

Here he comes!

It was a great race.  The weather was lovely, and everything was well organized.  Because of the trails, and the slightly longer distance (It actually measures 5.6km) it certainly isn't a course for those looking for a PB, but it isn't all about the PB some days!

Ok...back to my running.  Ha ha.

Sunday morning, I headed out for a long(ish) run.  I add the (ish) because I plan to work my way up to longer runs in the future, but for now, these runs are plenty for me.  Again, the weather was just perfect.  Slight breeze, some clouds, and a temp of about 14C.  I ran down some country roads, up some huge character-building hills, and enjoyed the peace and quiet that only a Sunday morning run can bring to this mama.  I ran 8 miles at 8:50/mile pace.  It was nice to arrive home to my boys, who were happy to see me (I think?!)

Milo (I mean, Superman) and Oliver


I can't believe the weekend is over.  Time flies when you're running fast, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment