Monday, November 8, 2010

Sunny Running

I feel so lucky that we have been enjoying such beautiful weather in the last few days.  That, combined with an extra hour of sleep (in theory) makes for a lovely Sunday morning long run!  I got geared up, and filled up my water bottle.  Just before heading out the door, I grabbed my running buddy, Garmie.  When I hit the start/stop button to search for satellites, nothing happened.  I tried again.  Then again, and a again.  Then the panic set in.  Nothing was happening.  This little gadget that I have grown to love over the last couple of months is letting me down?  How could this be?!

We fiddled around with it to no avail.  I didn't want to let it hold me back from the beautiful morning waiting for me, so I headed out the door.  I was bummed, but I know I can run without it, so why depend on it?  I really do love being able to look down and track my pace from time to time throughout my run, but   at this time of year, when I am not gearing up for a race, it isn't totally necessary.  As I passed the one-mile mark on the country road I usually take, I heard a car pull up slowly.  It was my hero, along with his little mini-heros.  My husband had fixed the problem with my beloved watch (the screen froze and he just reset it) and decided to pack up the boys (still in their jammies) in the car, to deliver it to me.  How sweet :)

I headed back on my way, and was reminded of his sweet gesture every time my watch beeped to tell me another mile had passed.  I proudly kept a steady 9 min/mile pace throughout the 10k (6 mile) run.  I think 10km is about my maximum these days.  I am feeling great as I run along, but my bladder has had about as much as it can handle by that point.  Unless I make a loop that runs past my house, I may just settle in for the next couple of months at this comfortable distance.  I wish I had the time to run 10k for daily runs, but for now I will have to be happy doing 6/7km for daily runs, keeping the 10ks for the weekend :)

In other (more) exciting weekend news, my husband and I become Godparents of my nephew Ralph.  He was quite cute through the baptism, and the family time afterwards was wonderful.  I love visiting with my family.  It was great to see everyone (and eat yummy refreshments!).

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment