Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's in the air...

When my brother and I headed out this morning for a run, it was out there, all around us.  The smell of winter.  It was cool and the wind was a bit more than I wanted.  As we ran along, I remembered all of the things about winter running that I had forgotten over the heat of the summer.  I will list a few...

1.  It is harder to hear one's running companion's conversation with strong winds and hats covering the ears.

2.  It is next to impossible to obtain the perfect combination of layers.

3.  The dead of winter always guarantees at least a few long runs with frozen gatorade.  Mmmm.  Nothing is more pleasant on a -18C run than a gatorade slushie drink!

4. Dark.  It is sooo dark so early in the evening, and so late into the morning.  It really makes us all wish we could 'dream' our runs from the warmth of our beds!

5.  Cold cheeks (and I mean all cheeks!).  For some reason, no matter how many layers, a morning run out in the cold is a sure-fire way to have a frozen butt for the rest of the day :)

6.  Nothing is more perfect than a calm evening run when the snow is falling gently.  So peaceful and full of beauty.

7.  Coming home from an early morning run in the cold give one quite an accomplished feeling.  Knowing that you had the courage to face the cold before starting the day is something to brag about, really.

8.  Winter is all about comfort foods.  Comfort foods are all about calories.  Enter the winter runner.  The runner that is brave enough to head out and burn those calories!

9.  Breathing in all of that cold, fresh air makes for some good sleep at night.

10.  Winter road races always seem to have the most humorous and created 'costumes', such as Santa Suits, kilts, etc.

Thank goodness the bad comes with the good in winter running.  I did mention to my brother this morning, that I predict I will use this pregnancy as an excuse not to go out on those super cold days...

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment