Friday, April 26, 2013

New Challenge!

Last night I met a new group of like-minded people!

I went out on a limb (a limb that reaches through a lake, and back on to dry land) and joined a "beginner triathlon" clinic.  The group is a sub-group of the very strong and well-supported Guelph Triathlon Club.  I decided if I am going to have any hope in beng efficient in an open-water swimming situation, or any hope of knowing just how to make my way out/in a transition area while navigating a bicycle in hand, learning from the folks that have done this before is a good bet.

For our first session, we met at the pool, where we had an orientation talk, then we (literally) jumped right into some swimming drills!

Remember the part where I am a brand-new swimmer?  Didn't matter.   The instructor had lots of really good drills (some new to me, others that I had tried before) and I felt like I could keep up with everyone else with absolutely no problems. I guess I can thank my swim instructor, and myself (for all of the practicing I have one over the last four months!).


The water was a bit chilly, but a very nice facility!
After we did about 45 minutes of swimming in the lovely U of Guelph Gold pool, we called it a night.  I still just love that fishy-feeling of being in the water!  What a great way to start the clinic!
...I sure hope the lake feels the same.  I know it will be an entirely new and different experience!  We are going to be in the lake within a month (gulp).  I sure hope the ice is gone by then (just kidding.  Kind of).

It will be nice to get tips and hints about my first triathlon from sources other than my friend google.  I expect to enjoy this experience, and I am eager to get into the biking cycling component.  If you can't fall on your face in front of a bunch of strangers, when can you fall on your face, am I right?!

Happy Running, Swimming and Cycling (not in that order though?)


p.s. I am running in a little 5km race in Rockwood on Saturday, "Avery's Bravery".  They raise money for Sick Kids Hospital.  Very fun event!! click HERE for more details!


2 comments: