Tuesday, April 2, 2013

(lucky) 13 more sleeps!

Wow...
Less than 2 weeks until Boston!!

I am feeling ready to get this marathon going.  Some spring weather would be nice at this point (it was soooo windy and cold out there today) but, I am just not going to get into talk about the weather, after the heat I endured last year at that race.

My long runs are over until race day, and I just have one 10 miler this Sunday between me and the real tapering action of next week. I am going to get some (tame) speed work done tomorrow, and a tempo/race pace run next week.  Sprinkle in some usual 45 minute runs and swims for the rest, and that sums it all up!!

This year for Boston, we are getting there by car.  That way, we can save a bit of money (which we will then fork out on the beautiful hotel) and I can also pack whatever the heck I feel like packing into the car.  Going out of town for four days is something I can do in one small carry-on, of course.  I am a pack-master. Puzzles are my thing. That's not the issue. But remember, this isn't just a quick trip out of town. This is the race out of town. With a marathon out of town, it's the entire other suitcase of (albeit neatly packed) running stuff that takes up all of the space. 

Things to consider:

- Will I need a jacket?

- which jacket?  What about other runs that will happen that weekend?

- Will I be  to find my special Rain Berry flavored gatorade? (which, ironically I buy whenever I'm in the states, so by the time I go to Boston, I will have imported if from the US, then smuggled it back into the US)

- which shoes will I wear?  Last year, my flight was paid for (thank you, Adidas and iRun) but I carried a super-heavy bag with two pairs of runners, and one pair on my feet.

- will it be best to sleep with my own pillow from home? (always. yes.)

- tank top? short-sleeves? sports bra?

- socks.  thinner or thicker?  Depends on the race day weather. A difference of a couple of degrees makes a difference in this decision.

- Water bottle(s). I always carry a handheld for races as long as a marathon. It would be nice to bring a back up to grab from Papa along the route. I'd better pack both. Just to be safe ;)

...and plenty of other stuff can be thrown in the car also. (Papa, if you're reading this, you could take a long pause and reflect on the amazing Bristol board signs that you will customize and try to hide in the trunk...I love all of your encouraging signs from past-races, but maybe this year you will make one somewhere other than on the transit ride to your cheering spot? Just kidding.  Do whatever. It's not like I've been training for months or anything.)

I think I am looking forward to spending time catching up with Papa on the ride there also.  Without a back seat full of children, we won't be distracted, so we can sing along to music (ok, I'll sing and he'll cringe) and play car-ride bingo!  Or drink coffee and try not to fall asleep while the other person is driving.  Whichever.

Prepare yourselves, people out there reading this...
In the next week, as my nervousness excitement heightens, you'll be seeing more of me blabbering on here...

Happy running!








2 comments:

  1. You're gonna rock it, Amy!!
    May I just say... that a sports bra should not have a question mark after it... what is the alternative?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll commission an artist to help me with my signs. ;)

    Not Garbage

    ReplyDelete