Saturday, April 20, 2013

34 for 34

Today was my birthday. It is the very end of the day as I write this...the candles have been blown out, the song has been sung (by my cutie-pie children, no less) and I have accepted that I am not getting any younger.

This morning, as I laced up for a run (I decided I would run 34 minutes for my 34 years, but I think I ended up taking a wee bit longer to run my 8km...shhh. Don't tell.

As I ran, I reflected on the fact that a birthday signifies the passing of time in one's life, stands as a milestone, and gives us the feeling of power as we age (okay, some of us feel that way).

I really dreaded my 30th birthday. I hated the thought that I was getting older. But, once my birthday happened, I was so proud of everything I had done up until that point in my mere 30 years hanging around here. Darn right I was 30!  I earned it!

So, 34 feels just as good (or better)!  Here are 34 things I am proud of (because if you can't be proud on your birthday, when can you?!)

34: I am really good at backing into parking spots. Even without my backup sensors.

33: I find a way to laugh every single day. Usually belly-laughter, mostly at my own expense.

32: I can hem my own pants, fix buttons, and do other clothing alterations that would otherwise coat me lots of money as a short person.

31: I can now swim over a kilometer every morning, and four months ago, I only knew how to doggy-paddle.

30: my first born, Elliott. Cute and smart.

29: my second born, Milo. Bright-eyed and hilarious.

28: my third born, Oliver. Stubborn and a sense of wit that is already evident in a 2-year-old.

27: seven marathons, eight half-marathons.

26: getting my report cards done on-time this week (hey, sometimes it's the little things that count)!

25: successfully potty training 2/3 kids so far, very early in the game. Only one more to go.

24: successfully cloth-diapering each of my kids, while trying not to annoy non-cloth-diapering parents, because, hey, you choose what's best for you, right?

23: thus far, successfully navigating my way (with the support of family) through the complicated world of having a child with anaphylaxis. Scary at times.

22: winning a 10km road race, and bringing home the trophy to amaze my children.

21: resisting the urge to eat ALL of the licorice all-sorts friends have given me for my birthday in one sitting. This, I deserve a medal for. Mmmmmm, black licorice...

20: standing my ground and not allowing my kids to eat marshmallows for dinner the thousands of times they have thrown a fit. Mommy. Always. Wins.

19: running a marathon in 3:53mins while 4 months pregnant. (maybe this should go from the "proud" list to the "crazy" list?)

18: holding on to the guy that made me so happy and loved when I met him and got to know him.  I am very proud that I made him stick around long enough to marry me :) I love you, Papa.

17: learning all kinds of songs/nursery rhymes that I never knew, just so my boys would get to enjoy singing them.

16: ...researching and finding a more broad variety of music for children, so my boys would not go crazy listening to Raffi over and over again (hey, I love Raffi, but mama needs a break sometimes)

15: having boys that enjoy getting out and running. This has to be the silver lining that came from years of pushing them in the jogging stroller.

14: listening, engaging, and supporting my students. (trying to, anyway)

13: learning how to do basic renovation jobs, including mudding and taping the drywall in our entire basement. I can thank my dad for his patience in helping me learn these skills.

12: being an active parent in my children's schools. Especially the nursery school, where I focus a great deal of energy.

11: smiling. I am proud to bring a smile and good spirit everywhere I go in the day (and sometimes it's more of a challenge than other times).

10: I've never watched Jersey Shore. I feel like that should be on everyone's list, but really, I'm telling the truth here.

9: running. Obviously, I run almost everyday. I am proud every single time I lace up my shoes.

8: following my dreams. Cheesy, yes, but I am proud that I had the support to follow my dreams of studying what I wanted, and ultimately becoming an art teacher. I count myself as lucky and proud on this one.

7: having a smile on my face, early (eeeeeaaaarrly) in the morning when my boys wake up. It's really really difficult to be happy at that hour, but so worth it when I get to enjoy those little rays of sunshine.

6: I'm on day 2 of a fresh manicure, and my nails still look great. I am beyond proud that I haven't messed up my birthday manicure gift from friends.

5: staying in-control as a parent when my kids say something that is both inappropriate and funny all at the same time. Major pride-points for not bursting into laughter.

4: almost being unpacked from our trip last weekend. It is a miracle when we are unpacked within 2weeks of arriving home.

3: pride and joy that my boys enjoy both art and math (some sort of fluke?) that I am responsible for 50 % of.

2: I am proud that I completed Boston, and that I held it together long enough to make friends with/comfort another person, post-race.

1: I am very proud that people think of me as that crazy running mom. Although it doesn't solely define me, it is a good conversation-starter.

There you have it. 34 things I'm proud of.

Happy Running!!



1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Amy! Great list. I'm super proud of you too. Ben

    ReplyDelete