Sunday, February 24, 2013

Another Weekend, another Long Run...

Whenever I run my long runs (which have now become for real...any run that takes more than 2 hours  is very real to me!) I have lots of time to reflect on everything going on in my head, from lesson-planning for school, to menu ideas for dinner, to lots of philosophical questions that don't necessarily have an answer.

Here's a list of things I like, and, other things that I don't love about being out there, just me and the road, for hours at a time:

- taking it easy. Some of my long runs include tempo and speed work, but most of them are just an easy pace. It is nice to slow down to 8:30-9min/mile pace and relax!

- music. I am not big on listening to music while I run. Only when I'm alone for a long run do I pull out the playlist. But I only have one playlist. With only about 30 songs. None of the songs are particularly good for running, but they are all songs I like, so that's fine by me.  (I have actuall contemplated books-on-cd from the library, but that might be odd?)

- knowing that I am doing something just a tiny but crazy. I rarely ever wish I had a more lazy hobby.

- accomplishing a really long run feels so great.  The feeling never gets old. Taking for granted the fact that I can run 28 + kms, up and down a very hilly route is something I am proud of. Every single time.

- recovery food. Mmmm, putting calories back into one's body after a good workout is so satisfying!

- getting a tummy ache after recovery food, on the other hand, is not so pleasant. You would think I would learn these lessons after all of these years...

- I'm gone long enough for my kids to actually miss me a little while I'm gone.  It is a nice feeling to return home to their smiling faces.

-  unfortunately, I am gone long enough for the house to become a lot messier than when I left :( not always, but sometimes. I love you, Papa, but these boys make a mess when you're in charge ;)

- watching the miles rack up on the garmin.  I don't usually wear the garmin when I do my daily runs, as I know my distances/pace (generally). It is crazy to look down at my watch and see just how long I've been out there, and how far I've actually gone (one step at a time).

- seeing other runners. Because the longer runs usually take me into 'town' I usually see a few other folks out for their long runs too.

- I really do prefer doing long runs with a partner or group. It is so nice to chat the miles away. Sometimes, though, it just isn't meant to be, and I get to spend some time actually paying attention to my thoughts...

I am happy that I won't have to do any route-planning for a whole week now, and I can relax knowing I put in the miles for yet another week. Hopefully my swim Monday morning will make my body feel recovered :)

happy (long) running!




1 comment:

  1. Cleaning? The slower pace doesn't just apply to running ;)

    ReplyDelete