Monday, December 6, 2010

I want to build a snow fort...

How did it become Monday again...and I haven't written anything all week?!  I guess it is that time of year...the time of year when we all seem to hurry up and start panicking over shopping lists, holiday parties, and signing Christmas cards.  It doesn't help that a lot of the province is starting to feel the cover of snow--so all of that hurrying we we are doing can be dangerous!

I just love peaceful, beautiful snowfalls, don't get me wrong.  A lovely evening snowfall while out for a run is one of my favourite things (read about other winter running-related items I love and not-so-love here).  The white covering of snow on the house and yard really makes it feel like the holidays.  Our boys are starting to get into this whole "snow" thing...

First snowman of the season...so proud
My little snow bunny

And now that Milo has started to keep his mittens on his hands, (quite a parenting feat, let me tell you!) I am quite happy to see their little noses get red while having the time of their lives running around outside in their snowsuits.

Do you ever remember running around all bundled in your snowsuit and big boots, so fast in the drifts until finally you just fell into the big piles of snow?  I just loved laying there, breathless after running around the yard, staring up at the big, blue sky.  I never remember feeling cold.  I just remember playing and digging and loving it.  My personal favourite part of that fun outdoor play, was when we finally came inside.  We would take our mittens and scarves and hats down to the basement to the wood stove, where we were to let them lay out to dry.  Before leaving them there, we would take the bits of icy snow off of the wool of our mitts, and throw it toward the stove (yes, real safe) where it would sizzle.  So awesome.

I wish I could zen myself back into that "snow play" frame of mind for every cold run that I have ahead of me this winter.  Frankly, I have to admit I get a wee bit scared of the cold as I bundle up to face the wind and elements.  Perhaps if I programmed my ipod to play some mini-pops or other music from my childhood it would be easier?!

Happy (snowy) running!

No comments:

Post a Comment