Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thanksgiving Hangover

Wow...it is amazing how many times one can think, "it's ok, I am eating for two!" over the food eating holiday we like to call Thanksgiving.  The important thing I have to keep in mind, is that I am eating for two, not like two.  We had such a great time visiting my parent's house, where the boys just love to get out and run around on the farm, and enjoy all of the spoiling that comes along with hanging with Grandma and Grandpa.  It is also a great time to get a good run in with my brother.  We headed out Sunday morning (gorgeous weather!!) for a ten mile run that turned into just over 11 miles.  We ran through the tiny town (ok, village) near my parent's farm called Brigden.  This town has a population of about 500 people, and every thanksgiving weekend, the town bursts at the seams for a fall fair that attracts over 50,000 people.  When we ran past the fairgrounds on Sunday morning, there were people getting ready to start the day, but it was still calm.  The rides on the midway hadn't started moving yet, and the cotton candy wasn't yet ready.


Scott and myself (and belly), ready to head out on a beautiful day!
 We didn't stop in at the fair, as we were busy enjoying the run and chatting away.  And, how could I go and enjoy the fair without the company of my boys?!  They just love all that fairs entail...who wouldn't?!  Candy apples, farm animals, and giant pumpkins on display!

Scott and I finished our run at an average pace of 9:20/mile--which is slower than Scott would normally run, but he didn't complain once.  I guess he knows better than to complain about the pace to the pregnant lady :)

The best post-run food happens to be coma-inducing turkey dinner, I must say.  We ate very well, thanks to my wonderful parent's cooking.  Squash from the garden, my sister-in-law's quinoa dish, my aunt's layered jello, and, of course, the turkey!  Top it off with my dad's homemade cinnamon buns, and you are sure to feel like you can't move, let alone run, for days to come!  As luck would have it, we do get hungry again, and the leftovers are there to remind us of that full feeling :)

When we finally returned home, we took advantage of the lovely weather and did some Halloween decorating to our front porch.  My oldest, Elliott is sooo into Halloween this year.  He was thrilled to assist hanging ghost lights, placing pumpkins in the garden and insisting that we "need more" scary stuff before Halloween arrives.  Don't even get me started on the battle of his costume.  I refuse to believe that I will lose and he will end up as spiderman, or a ghost (his only two options at the moment).  I am a huge fan of making my boys match, and having two little matching turtles was what this mama had in mind.  I have been trying to compromise, but I would just hate to see him go out as spiderman like all of the other kids in his class :)  I know, turtles are cute for toddlers, and perhaps dorky for big boys that are almost 4 years old, but I was hoping to hold on to this matching thing for at least one more year?!

Happy Back-to-work day.  I am stuck with an awful cold that has left me with very little in the voice department.  I hope my voice returns before the marathon on Sunday, when I am gearing up to cheer on my friend Vanessa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment