Monday, October 25, 2010

Busy Weekend (again)

This weekend was a busy one, (but fun) with lots of catching up with friends.  Saturday afternoon, we celebrated at a party for my friend Vanessa, who's husband had a surprise party for her, in honour of her first marathon (aw! How sweet)!  By the time I returned home from the party, I was inspired all over again to hit the road in another marathon.  How does that happen?!  It is crazy to think that I am eager to get out there and pound another 42.2 kilometers into my shoes, but I just can't wait to take another stab at it.  Of course, there will be a baby, recovery from said baby, painful miles and miles of preparation, etc. between me and my next attempt.  I can't wait though.  I think hearing someone else's race experience is so inspiring (perhaps that is why I read so many blogs?). 

Sunday morning was a fun run with my family (the boys were so cute tucked in under a blanket, still in their jammies)!  It was foggy, but perfect.  We ran around the neighbourhood and enjoyed the calmness that fog brings.  My husband is running a 5km cross-country race this weekend, so it was nice to catch up with him about his race goals and plans.  My boys counted pumpkins as we ran along, and it was so cute to see them so excited about Halloween.  Their costumes are still 'works in progess' so I must get on that tonight!

Last night I was fortunate enough to experience some athletes of a different kind, at a live taping of the show, "Battle of the Blades".  The show, if you haven't watched it, (you should, it is quite entertaining!) is a CBC-produced skating show where they take accomplished figure skaters, and pair them with accomplished NHL hockey players to perform fancy pairs figure skating acts.  Sort of a "Dancing with the stars"-with-ice-sports-involved idea. How Canadian is that?!  I am not really a hockey-watcher, but I have always watched figure skating, so it was awesome to watch.  I had to keep reminding myself that these hockey players had zero experience in figure skates before coming on the show.  It was truly amazing!  And we saw a few other Canadian celebrities while we were there, which was fun.  Thanks to my friend Vanessa (she is a star of my blog these days!) for inviting me :)

Running is one of the only athletic endeavors I have ever stuck to.  I try to imagine getting out of my comfort zone to try something completely different, like those hockey players.  It is hard for me to think about trying, let alone showing a TV audience!  I think my most-challenging opposite sport would be swimming.  It is crazy, as so many runners are swimmers also, but I just never have been, and I haven't really had the desire to be.  I keep thinking somewhere in my mind that swimming might be something I will learn to be good at when I am 40.  I don't know why, but that seems far enough away that I don't have to worry about it, but close enough that I can still make it a goal.  We'll see.

After that busy weekend, I am exhausted!  I am looking forward to a run after school with my friend M.  Hopefully it is not raining and we can enjoy an energy-boost together!

Happy (foggy) running!

No comments:

Post a Comment