Monday, November 14, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Race Memorabilia!

This year I got to thinking about all of those medals I have kicking around from various races.  I just love races that give out medals to finishers.  It is such a nice way to remember the race (medals are small, portable, always fit, unlike some race t-shirts!).  Every finisher receives one, so we all feel special walking around wearing them after the race, feeling like we won!

So many of us throw them into a drawer, shoe box, etc. where they sit until (in my case) the kids drag them out and wear them around.  This is really cute, but it doesn't happen that often.  I don't need to see my medals displayed every day, but I started thinking about how to display them to feel a bit proud of my accomplishments...

So today, my medals went from this:

pile of medals in a basket
...to this:

New, smaller ribbons attached!

...and finally, to this!

Oh, Christmas tree!

I decided to use them as Christmas tree ornaments!  Move over, "Baby's First Christmas," and make way for "Mama's Half-Marathon" and some others.  I can now add any new medals I run for over the course of the year, to my tree at the end of the year.  I can reflect on the races and places as I sit and look at the tree, all lit up.  I have always loved sitting with a nice cup of tea around the Christmas tree, looking at the wonderful glow of the lights.  Now I can see familiar shiny souvenirs that I worked so hard for throughout the rest of the year!

A few aren't on the tree.  I have all three of my marathon medals (with race bibs) in shadow boxes (2 are in a hallway, and one is in Oliver's room, as he ran that race with me!) so they are not part of the Christmas ornament collection.  I am excited to have these new ornaments out of a little basket, and out as decor for the holidays!



I know it is too early for Christmas decorations.  I haven't decorated any of the rest of the house yet.  I was just too excited about my new idea, and I actually bought this little Christmas tree just yesterday (of course it's fake--they don't grow pewter-coloured!).

Happy Running!

2 comments:

  1. I believe in Celebrating Your Achievements and since my wife is an avid Marathoner I built her a case to display her medals. It has become a sureal business for me and would encourage you to check out my website http://www.byinviewdesigns.com; there may be something that you would be interested in. Thanks, Tad

    ReplyDelete