Saturday, April 30, 2011

Beautiful day for a Race!

After a week (ok, month) of dreary, windy, rainy weather it was so refreshing to wake up this morning to sunshine and temperatures above 10C.  As an added bonus, it was race day!  My first race since having the baby a month ago, this local 5k race (Avery's Bravery--Second Annual) was a perfect choice.

I had to register this morning, so I got in the car and dashed to the race site on my own (it is less than 5 minutes from home--another bonus) while my husband hung out with the three boys.  I was back in no time flat, to get the boys ready, feed the baby, etc. before we packed up the car and headed out.
Elliott showing off good form in the children's race
The race was held at the local conservation area.  A wonderful location for a race!  This race was totally geared toward children, with face painters, a bouncy castle, cupcake decorating, and a 100m kid's race.  

Not long after all of the kids received their medals, the 5k run/walk started.  My good friend M and I were running together.  She just had a baby about a month ago as well, but she was running with her little one in the BOB, and I wimped out and left Oliver with his papa and siblings!  It made it easier for me to offer to push M's baby for part of the route, which worked well.

The run felt more like a daily run than a *race* but it felt great regardless.  We did manage to pass our fair share of other runners (a good way to pump up our spirits) and it really felt great to just attach that race bib to my shirt!

The best feeling was the approach to the finish, (when is it not the best feeling?!) where my little Milo ran out from the spectators to see me.  Aw.  Mama's boy.  I scooped him up as we crossed the finish.  So great.  Our finish time was 29ish minutes.  I'll take that any day.

It feels great to sit here this evening with a bit of sun burn on my face, and the optimism that I will build on this 5k up to the races that I want to accomplish this year :)
Look at that optimism!
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment