Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tales from the Slow Lane

I can't believe how quickly time flies these days.  It must be all of he fun I am having.  Or the three kids and a hubs that works crazy shifts?  I am so glad I wouldn't have it any other way. Fitting in two extra activities into the day, instead of just one, is part of the chaos, I am sure.

But I am loving swimming so much that I am trying to get to the pool to practice as much as I can. I have a long way to go before I am out of the "slow lane" but it won't be due to a lack of determination, I can say that much at least.

Some observations from my new swimming life:

1.  Goggles kind of suck. I love how great they are at keeping the water out of my eyes, yes. But I hate that they fog up, (I've tried *spit* ewwww, baby soap, etc. and they're a tiny bit better) and I hate having stuff on my face (I wear contacts almost exclusively for that reason).

2.  One-piece "real" bathing suits are just as hard to remove when wet as I remember from being a kid. Seriously. Wiggling out of a soaking wet clingy tube at 6am in a locker room is not what I imagine is my most cute and graceful moment of the day.

3.  "shower before entering the pool" is definitely their way of making sure everyone is good and awake before heading into the water.

4.  Speaking of showers.  Taking showers in locker rooms is kind of a drag. But showers with motion sensors are just mean. Keeping the water going for the entire length of my shower (and NOT having it blast water on me while I am trying to towel-off) is a skill that I am hoping I will pick up along with the ability to front crawl!

5.  Other swimmers are so great. Lots of friendly people at pools early in the morning. I am assuming they are just like all of the other runners I know. Happy to nod and say hello, and encouraging of my baby steps toward progress. (I also hope they will throw me a flutter board if I look distressed in the middle of the pool)

6.  I really love being in the water. Especially if I've had a long run or a hard speed session.  It is such a comforting feeling to be enveloped in the water.

No, I am not going to be re-naming my blog to reflect this new fun thing I'm doing...I still quite enjoy all of my runs too. Except yesterday's treadmill run. As much as I enjoy the novelty of wearing shorts and a tank top to run in January, I find it so hard to push my runs any longer than 40mins on the treadmill (and that is even when I have a great co-worker running along on the treadmill beside me!).

Today I enjoyed a nice 9km outdoor run and the sun was shining and it was great. More sunshine, less wind/rainy snow, please!   Am happy to have snow, just not the melty slushy variety. That gets all up in my shoes.

Happy swimming/running!


No comments:

Post a Comment