Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fast and Light

You know that feeling when you just have an amazing run?  Ya, me too.

That's what I want to write about today.  I was out for some speed work with my friend M.  We were over half an hour into the run, and about half-way through the hell fun that amounts to speed work.  That feeling of watching every second roll by on my watch gave way to the feeling of being fast and light.  "Fast and Light" was how Nicole Stevenson (yep, a Canadian superstar marathon runner) told me to envision myself during speed work.  If you're looking to shave some time off your run (of any length) I recommend thinking those two words over and over again to yourself.  It really helps me!

I haven't checked my Garmin since the run to see just how fast each rep was, but I don't think I need to. I will take it as a good confidence booster, if nothing else.  It just feels good to return from a run like that, when everything seems to be working out.  I sure hope I feel like that on my next race day :)

This is such a busy time of year, December.  We have yet to celebrate another kiddo's birthday, and all of the family Christmases that come along.  I know I have said this before on this blog, but running at this time of year becomes even more important to me than other, less busy times.  That calm of running along (at 5:30am most days) in the peace and quiet, with the light of the moon and stars overhead is worth carving out the time to do.  As an extra bonus, lots of people in my town seem to leave their Christmas lights on overnight (or they turn on early) so it is extra-festive.
...perhaps I should start belting out a few Christmas songs as sort of a 'drive-by' approach to carolling?  Nah, I can only imagine the howling dogs and unhappy neighbours.  Running is more my thing than singing ever will be.  Ask my kids.  They like it better when mama doesn't sing.

Happy Running...get out there and enjoy this cold and festive weather!

Milo, posing by my tree of running medals

No comments:

Post a Comment