Tuesday, August 23, 2011

oh, summer...please stick around for a while longer!

Last night I felt like I was so speedy, running along in the fresh, cooler air that blew through the area yesterday.  I don't really think I was running much faster.  It was just the relief from the blazing sun and sweat of my usual runs.
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE summer.  These last couple of weeks of summer vacation are always filled with anxiety, even this year, when I am not actually returning to work.  I will be sad not to spend the days wishing I had a swimming pool, running through neighbourhood sprinklers on hot runs, seeing the sweaty heads of my kids when they take off their bike helmets.  Oh, summer, why are you filled with such fun times?
Some of the observations I made last night while out running included...

- running at dusk involves way more bugs.  keep mouth closed when possible.

- if you want to avoid feeling sad that you don't currently have a dog, avoid evening runs, when the entire town brings out their pups for a walk.  It will make you miss your dog waaay more!

- if you want to avoid feeling sad/nostalgic about your younger/non-kid life, when you and your hubs could take said dog for a long stroll all alone without bed times to worry about, avoid those evening runs! (in our house, the evening walk with the kids happens around 6pm when the sun is still way up in the sky!)

- If you live in a small town like I do, that has a conservation area in the middle of it, go out for an evening run just to enjoy the awesome smell of campfire in the air.  Nothing smells more like summer than a campfire!

- Avoid stopping to talk to every person you run by that you know--it really can slow down your productivity (again, this might be a symptom of living in a small town)!

I even stopped to take a photo of the beautiful sky while I was out!  (It is so rare that I have my phone with me, so I took the opportunity)

ahh, summertime :)

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment