Sunday, February 20, 2011

Boston, Schmoston?

Although I know it is the thing that everyone is talking about...I feel like I do need to discuss my take on the whole Boston Marathon thing.  I have never been one to enjoy participating in things because 'everyone else is doing it,' but for some reason, Boston is one of those races that runners (especially marathon runners) seem to feel like they have to do.  It might be the fact that non-runners know of this famous race, and assume that it is something that "any runner that is a real runner" has run.

The changes to the registration process mean that the qualifying time for each age/gender will be lowered inadvertently, as the lower your time, the sooner you can register.  Perhaps they should just silk screen each runner's qualifying time on their bib, so we know just which runner is most deserving of a spot at the starting line on race day?

And so it is.  A million years ago, when I worked at the Running Room, we had a little sign in the store that posted Boston Marathon Qualifying times.  I remember looking at it, thinking the race would be one that I would qualify for someday if I tried.  I also remember feeling really lucky that I was female, as the male qualifying times seemed waaay harder to attain.  When I ran my second marathon while working there, one of the other runners in my training group qualified.  She had run at least 5 marathons, and was so very proud of herself, and it was then that I thought more about making it a goal for myself in future races.  Then, for one reason or another, (perhaps getting a 'real job' and not spending my days living the student life) I got out of marathon running.  I had no real interest in that kind of training.  I was content to run 5-10kms.

I keep thinking perhaps I missed that Boston boat.  Now everyone wants to run it.  Do I care enough?  I think in my next marathon, I would like to push myself under that qualifying time, to know I can do it, (to be able to say I can do it) but I don't know if I want to join in on the crazy race to get a spot at the starting line.

There are so many other races out there that I would like to run.  I haven't done many destination races, but I do know I want to do more.  Boston is lovely, I hear.  But so are many other places!

Happy Running...and qualifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment