Tuesday, May 14, 2013

You win some, you fall some!


I am happy to report, that despite a hilarious start to my scary cool clippy pedals for my bike, I successfully survived my first ride in public without any mishaps!

This surprised me.  Lots.

I received the fancy pedals and shoes as a birthday gift from papa and the boys. I decided that it was a "now or never" situation with the clips. If I wanted to use them, I needed to use them from the get-go. And trying new things seems to be a theme for me this year, so why not?!

My brother Scott was helpful enough to assist me in putting the pedals on my bike, so all I had to do was get the shoes on, and try it out (gulp).  I decided to use the luscious green lawn of grandma and grandpa's house. The thought of falling on the pavement in my own neighbourhood was way too much for me.

I started out alright. I got clipped in without any trouble. I rode around in a few circles. It was going well (!).

Then, I realized that un-clipping was a step that I needed to practice. I freed one foot (no problem!) then, as I got closer to stopping, I tried to free foot #2. I did not set my other foot on the ground though, (um, ya.  That's a bit of a problem) and down I went. Bike, me, and my dignity!

It was so funny.

I got grass-stains on my new sweater and my family (watching from the window, as all helpful families do) was roaring with laughter.

So, I got up and tried again.

Basically, attempt two was identical to attempt #1. My brother was laughing so hard as he said, "why did you do the same thing again?  Why am I not video taping this?!"

No video.  No photo. Just the grass stains left now.

On attempt three (with camera rolling...thanks, Scott) I managed without any trouble.  I managed to do a hill-workout with my tri-group last night as well, hassle free.

I know I will fall again.  I just hope it isn't in a race situation!

This morning, I headed to the pool.

At 6:05am, I was greeted with this:




Ugh.

I arrived at work super-early as a result.

Luckily I had a killer interval session tonight to make up for the lack of swimming this morning...my legs are now feeling like jello and I am looking forward to some relaxing. (5x1mile repeats @6:20/mile, hence the jello!). I foam-rollered with Raule and it's all gooood now.


Happy Running, cycling, or swimming...if your pool happens to be opened!



No comments:

Post a Comment