Monday, September 1, 2014

New (school) Year's Eve

Labour Day.

The dreaded day, when our summer holiday comes to an official end. The last day before it is time to start sorting back packs, cramming schedules, and eating lunches out of brown paper bags.

I dare say the summer wore us out a little?

I could cry through lots of this post, as I just love the freedom that summer allows.  The long days that get us out of bed for early runs, and allow us to take a walk after dinner without bundling into warm and visible clothing.

But I am not going to dwell on all of that amazing stuff.

Nope.

Instead, I am going to allow myself to get excited about all of the things a new (school) year brings.

…and there are lots of things.

- The kids will be back into their routine.  They love summer, but they have been role-playing "school" for more than a week now.  I think they are ready to be back in the classroom with their friends.

- I will be back into a routine.  We do have a little routine going on here in the summer, but I certainly feel like I am accomplishing more (I am) and I am more organized when I am working.  I guess those school bells have me trained as well.

- The fall is a beautiful time to be a runner.  The weather is still wonderful, the cool air is refreshing, and as the leaves on the trees change colour it is so pretty.  Long sleeves really aren't that bad, right?

- The Chicago Marathon is in 6 weeks!  A big fall race (and the taper beforehand) is something I am very excited about.  The fact that Papa and I will be spending the weekend in one of our favourite cities with some friends for Thanksgiving weekend isn't so bad, either.

- Halloween happens in the fall!  I am excited to make the costume ideas the boys have into actual costumes.

- Food in the fall is great.  I am really into summer foods, but I am ready to dig into some warm soups and stews.

So…school begins in the morning.  I have an early-rise and some speed work to accomplish before the day really begins.

Summer of 2014, you were very good to us.  The weather was *perfect* for running.  I enjoyed a very busy schedule of races (TEN races, that is) and we were so fortunate to have a great deal of family time together.



Cheers, to a good New (school) Year ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment