Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Three Thoughts for Tuesday...

Catching up with the cool kids

I am on twitter now!  For real!  I made an account about four years ago, when I really had no idea what twitter was all about (I'm still just a tiny bit confused). I never used it. My profile picture was an egg. For four years.

Then, during a staff professional development session at school, the workshop leader shamed me for still having an egg profile picture. Well then.

So, I changed it on the spot, and I have successfully tweeted a couple dozen tweets. Most of my tweets have photos (perhaps I should've done Instagram instead?) but I really enjoy reading other people's tweets.

My twitter handle is @amys406 if you do the twitter thing and you want to read tiny micro-versions of the sort of thing I write about on here.

Why @amys406?  I probably should've been more creative, but in all honesty, I wasn't sure I would ever really use it. AMYS 406 was the licence plate of my first car. It was pure coincidence that the ministry issued that plate for my car, so it was my lucky, freebie semi-personalized plate. The only problem was that people always asked me, "what does 406 signify?!"  Ugh.


PHD in Running?

Here's the thing.

I am a runner.  I have been a runner for as long as I can remember, and it is definitely one of the things about me that makes me who I am. I would say that a big part of my identity is running, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

What I am not, however, is a doctor. Or a kinesiologist, physio therapist, or any of those things. So, imagine my surprise and confusion when people ask me (all. the. time.) for advise about their specific, running related injuries. I love love it when other runners talk to me about their training and all of the excitement that goes with it. That is awesome. Let's talk about braving the elements and getting out there!  I could do that allllll day.

But please do not think of me as some sort of *reliable* advice-giver about the pain in your leg, back, foot, ankle, etc that came about after running. I really do not feel confident making a diagnosis of the problem. I actually feel like my expertise as a high school art teacher that enjoys running (on a hope and a prayer that I don't hurt myself) is not what anyone should take as trustworthy!  In the very least, isn't that what Dr. Google is for?!

Back to Track

Today was my very first track session since the cold days of January. I was a bit scared of my lack of speed, but I was also very excited to see what I could manage.

I plan to join my friends in the Guelph Victors throughout the summer, but for my first one, I knew it was best to leave my pride out of it, (that's how injuries happen?) and run within the zone my coach gave me.

She gave me a workout of 2 miles warm up, 8x 200m (with 200m jog recovery between each), 800m easy, then 8x 200m (with the same 200m recovery) then a 2 mile cool down. She wanted my 200m @45 seconds (remember, this is my first speed work in 5 months). I managed all but one of the 16 @ 42 second pace. I did one at 41 seconds (the third to last) and tried with all my might to get the last two down to 41, but I just couldn't do it. 42 wasn't so bad.  You have to start somewhere.

I realized that all of my pool running really helped my running form. I have zero scientific evidence to back this up (see above) but I feel like all of that focus on my form in the pool really made my arms and legs work in a better rhythm. Is that possible?



Happy Gorgeous Sunny day running!







No comments:

Post a Comment